Sometimes there are times when motivation is lower in the workplace. This can include when feeling undervalued, when there is conflict or when there is an unrealistic workload. It can lead to poor performance, unwelcome vibes in the workplace, mental health issues and job dissatisfaction.
There are many different methods to try to improve motivation in the workplace. Each situation is different. It will need an honest evaluation of the workplace dynamics to improve morale. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it” – Michael Jordan.
8 Simple Ways to Increase Motivation in the Workplace
- Develop small goals at first, that are measurable, and that will help toward achieving bigger goals
- Encourage collaboration of the team and ask for each team member’s suggestions. Implement suggestions and get everyone on-board with each new change
- Try to remain positive throughout the process, even when faced with adversity from colleagues
- Develop creative ideas to increase motivation. This might include creating more autonomy in the workplace or encouraging feedback from the team to provide inspiring solutions
- Ensure to take breaks and stay fuelled, to feel energised throughout the day
- Reward great work with a team celebration
- Host frequent ‘huddle sessions’ to review team performance, concerns or issues, and invite solutions from the team to improve each situation
- Become a leader, regardless of your position in the organisation
While it is true management have a vital role to play in ensuring that there is good motivation in the workplace, we all have a part to play in improving morale. Obstacles can be overcome, with improved team effort and communication. Teamwork can make a real difference in boosting motivation, morale, and wellbeing at work. It can also help with lower absenteeism, create a great company reputation, and increase job satisfaction, making your company a great place to work and being part of the team.