CREATE AND SUSTAIN A HEALTHY WORK-LIFE BALANCE
Have you ever wondered how successful people sustain focus in an ever-demanding work life? Well, one suggestion is to apply a holistic approach to achieving excellence in work-life balance. This approach can begin by separating the two elements, work and personal life, and then integrate them together to work as an all-inclusive plan.
Firstly, plan a schedule for the work part of life. Secondly, plan a schedule for the personal elements of life including family, friends, hobbies, etc. Review both schedules to identify if the plan is manageable and achievable. At times the plan may need to be flexible to adapt to unforeseen changes. Allow for this, particularly if it is a constructive change. Effective time-management and organisational skills are vital to help with achieving optimised results. Finding a job that we are passionate about and enjoy can also help with the process of being motivated. Other tips include:
- – Eliminate work commitments to a minimum, after 6pm. Having a plan in place to commit to our personal life is equally important.
- – Don’t put off today, what can be done today. Procrastination is our biggest enemy in completing a weekly plan. It can add to next weeks ‘to-do’ list and ultimately heighten stress levels.
- – Focus on close personal interests, family, friends, hobbies, etc., and remain aware of how important these connections, with people and activities, are to sustain a healthy way of living.
- – Create time for a ‘me-date’ each week. Plan time for a trip to the spa, shops, gym, etc. It is important to reconnect with self. To paraphrase the famous airline statement: ‘first you have to take care of yourself, so that you can take care of everyone and everything else’.
- – Accept any support offered from close networks of family and friends. We all need someone who has our best interests at heart and who has got our back, especially when we need it the most. Also understanding the importance of an equal measure of give-and-take in any relationship is crucial to maintain a healthy relationship.
- – Learn to say ‘no’ sometimes. This can be achieved by delegating tasks.
- – Manage personal finances, so that they don’t consume our thoughts which might lead us to become unduly stressed. Set a budget in place for known bills and a contingency budget for unforeseen events can help the process.
At the end of each week, it is important to take time and reflect back on all achievements. Identify areas that can be improved to create and sustain a healthy balance.
Think ‘outside the box’; switch each weeks schedule up a little, to add more spice and variety. Become innovative in the process. Learn to work clever and become more productive in both career and personal life for a more optimised work-life balance. Have a little fun along the way, with the new plan, to achieve more productivity in life. Enjoy the increased free time that the new plan has achieved by doing things that you love.
For more tips click here for Forbes insight.